Fast Facts About Smithfield, RI
What to know about living in Smithfield.
Population (2010): 21,430
- Boston, MA: 24min
- Hartford, CT: 1hr 26min
- Providence, RI: 1hr 4min
- Providence – 30min
Median income (2020):
- Individual: $36,534
- Household: $81,010
County: Providence County
Type of location: Town
Why is Smithfield a Nice Place to Live?
Smithfield offers nice suburban amenities with close proximity to Providence. It also boasts a tranquil, rural environment of intact forests and clean streams and ponds. In addition, Smithfield has low taxes, an excellent school system, and location make Smithfield a desirable place to live in Rhode Island. Living in Smithfield offers you gorgeous views, delicious restaurants, and fun outdoor activities.
Smithfield offers quality public schools for elementary through high school students within the Smithfield Public School District. Its mission is to prepare students for the 21st Century by engaging all learners in meaningful learning experiences that meet the highest educational and ethical standards in a caring, collaborative learning community supported through partnerships with parents and families, community partners, civic organizations, and higher education.
What is Smithfield Known For?
Smithfield has a multitude of historic mills, such as the Georgia Cotton Mill (in Georgiaville near Higgins St.) and the Allenville Mill. The Georgia Cotton Mill was constructed in 1813, and is one of the earliest stone factories in Rhode Island. Some mills are wondrous to see due to their historical construction/techniques. Those living in Smithfield enjoy the beautiful nature, nice coffee shops and delicious restaurants. From Wolf Hill Forest Preserve to the Smith-Appleby House, Smithfield has some great cultural attractions.
What Are the Best Restaurants in Smithfield?
Some of the top restaurants in and around Smithfield with the highest-rated Google reviews include:
- De Petrillo’s Pizza & Bakery, a local pizzeria & bakery chain serving classic pies, calzones & more in a low-key setting.
- Parma Ristorante, for fine Italian style dining with the comforts of home.
- Fresh Pita Smithfield, a local Italian pizzeria and bakery specializing in pizzas, calzones, rolls and desserts including cookies, egg biscuits, wine biscuits, and much more.
- Reali’s Fine Italian Cuisine, an enduring destination for traditional Italian fare with wines & beer in a cozy, old-school space.
- Sorrento Restaurant, for a relaxed restaurant serving sandwiches, pasta & classic Italian mains in a modest setting.