Fast Facts About Portsmouth, RI
What to know about living in Portsmouth.
Population (2021): 17,754
- Boston, MA: 1hr 15min
- Hartford, CT: 1hr 55min
- Providence, RI: 33min
- Providence – 40min
Median income (2020):
- Individual: $58,865
- Household: $99,157
County: Newport County
Type of location: Town
Why is Portsmouth a Nice Place to Live?
Portsmouth is situated on scenic Aquidneck Island in Narragansett Bay. Outside of its highly skilled and highly educated population, Portsmouth is home to family-friendly activities, delicious restaurants and coffee shops, and fun outdoor locations. Those living in Portsmouth particularly enjoy Green Animals Topiary Garden and Greenvale Vineyards.
Portsmouth offers excellent public schools within the Portsmouth School Department. The district prides itself on providing high quality instruction to all students to prepare students for post-secondary education and/or career-focused options.
What is Portsmouth Known For?
Founded in 1638 by Anne Hutchinson and two other dissenters of the original Boston Colony, Portsmouth boasts many historic sites, public golf courses, marinas, antique shops and more. Portsmouth is also made up of four islands: Prudence Island, Patience Island, Hope Island, and Hog Island. Those living in Portsmouth love the rich history of this beautiful town.
What Are the Best Restaurants in Portsmouth?
Some of the top restaurants in and around Portsmouth with the highest-rated Google reviews include:
- Localz Kitchen & Cocktails, a bustling waterfront restaurant & bar serving ample portions of surf ‘n’ turf with Italian accents.
- 15 Point Road Restaurant Waterfront Dining, for relaxed, refined dining on locally inspired dishes in a riverside venue with outdoor seating.
- Fieldstones, a casual American restaurant & bar offering steak, pasta, seafood & pizza in booth-lined environs.
- Blue Anchor Grill, a family-friendly restaurant with a great menu and live music on the weekends.
- Rocco’s Little Italy, a local mom and pop pizzeria with great Italian-American fare.