Fast Facts About Newport, RI
What to know about living in Newport.
Population (2021): 85,264
- Boston, MA: 1hr 50min
- Hartford, CT: 1hr 47min
- Providence, RI: 50min
- Providence – 40min
Median income (2020):
- Individual: $50,514
- Household: $84,282
County: Newport County
Type of location: City
Why is Newport a Nice Place to Live?
Also known as the Classic Coast, Newport County boasts nine vibrant and historic towns all sharing some serious New England coastline. It is both everything you expect and enjoy. Newport is a family-friendly place made of surf and soul, raised by the ocean and constructed by eccentric and outspoken rebels over 300 years ago. If you’re looking for classic Colonial architecture and awe-inspiring New England landscapes, Newport has them. Those living in Newport love the fun outdoor activities, delicious food, and trendy coffee shops in the city.
Newport offers excellent public schools within the Newport Public School District. Its mission is to provide challenging education with academic rigor and appropriate supports so that each student will possess the knowledge, skills, and character essential to productive citizenship, healthy choices, life-long learning, and the ability to make a meaningful contribution to our global society.
What is Newport Known For?
Newport is a way of life and always in season. It is a destination for those drawn to culture, rich history, unspoiled beaches, stretches of scenic trails, distinctive shops, high-end restaurants, one-of-a-kind accommodations and world-class events. Newport boasts a vibrant calendar and entertaining experiences throughout the whole year. Those living in Newport love the International Polo Series, the British Motorcar Festival in Bristol, and the CVS Health Charity Classic in Barrington.
What Are the Best Restaurants in Newport?
Some of the top restaurants in Newport with the highest-rated Google reviews include:
- Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant, a cozy iconic watering hole with eats ranging from nachos to lobster rolls & over 250 wine vintages
- The Mooring Seafood Kitchen & Bar, an upscale seafood destination with outdoor dining.
- Mamma Luisa Ristorante Italiano, a longtime eatery with a few quaint rooms offering classic Italian fare & many wines from the region.
- Jo’s American Bistro, a carefully sourced American menu, including steak & seafood, in a classy, wood-accented space.
- Malt, a vintage-chic tavern offering New American cooking plus 30+ beers on tap & specialty cocktails.